Although summer isn’t officially here yet, we have definitely already started to feel those hotter temperatures, and you’ve probably already started running your air conditioner. If you’ve ever had your AC fail you in the midst of summer, then you know what an unpleasant experience it can be as you desperately wait for air conditioning repair for your Jackson or Toms River home. To help prevent issues with your central air conditioning unit, follow these seven tips:
- Keep plants, bushes, and trees 3 feet from around the outside unit. Plants can restrict airflow to your unit, causing it not to operate at peak efficiency.
- Wash pollen and other debris off the outside unit. You’ve seen all the green dust build up on top of your car. Your air conditioning unit will also pull in pollen and other debris, restricting the airflow and leading to a decrease in cooling efficiency. Worse, all those tiny particles of pollen and dust can cause your unit to overheat. Thoroughly wash the outside with a hose to minimize problems.
- Do not close registers completely. It is a misconception that closing registers in unused rooms in your home will save you money. This is not only untrue, but it can cause problems for your unit by increasing the pressure in your air ducts.
- Change the filter regularly. We recommend changing your filter every 90 days for optimal performance, but at minimum, check to see if the filter is dirty. Not only will it help your unit run better, but it will help you breathe easier, especially if you suffer from allergies.
- Using a programmable thermostat, you can set the temperatures for day and night. A set program can help you save money by reducing your usage. If no one is at home during the day, you can set it to a slightly higher temperature.
- Keep the sun out. One of the biggest culprits for making your home hotter is — that’s right — the sun. During the brightest hours of the day, keep curtains and blinds closed as much as possible to reduce heat entering your home.
- Have your system inspected and maintained yearly by an HVAC professional. While it’s best to have your system inspected before the cooling system starts, it’s still not too late! Proper maintenance can help catch problems before they turn into costly repairs.
With these tips, you’ll be sure to stay cool all season long. And when you need an air conditioning contractor in Jackson, NJ, Toms River, NJ, or other surrounding areas, trust Care Temp Heating and Air Conditioning!