When you’re looking for furnace repair services in Brick, NJ, you probably wonder what type of equipment is the best choice. Should you opt for a heat pump or a gas furnace?
Here at Care Temp, LLC, we have extensive experience servicing and installing both of these types of units. Here, we explain the benefits and drawbacks of both types of heating systems so that you can make an educated decision on your next investment.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Heat Pumps
Heat pump systems use electricity and are ideal for homes based in moderate climates. However, there are some pros and cons of these systems:
- Efficiency: Many electric heat pumps are more energy-efficient when compared to gas-operated furnaces.
- Installation Costs: Heat pump installation typically costs a lot less than furnace installation. Furnaces use extensive ventilation systems, which can add costs to homes that are ill-equipped for these specifics.
- Operating Costs: In most areas, electricity rates fall much lower than the prices of natural gas. This means that heat pump systems can be less expensive to operate than gas-fired furnaces.
- Noise: Heat pumps are generally quieter than furnaces.
- Safety: There are no carbon monoxide poisoning risks associated with heat pumps.
- Size: Heat pump systems require outdoor and indoor components, while gas-fired furnaces only have indoor parts.
- Effectiveness: In periods of severe cold, a heat pump is not as capable as a gas furnace at heating a home.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Gas Furnaces
Gas-fired furnaces have been popular for decades as a way to warm homes. The advantages and disadvantages of this type of equipment include:
- Lifespan: A gas-fired furnace typically lasts longer than a heat pump
- Maintenance: Since gas-operated heaters are only used for a few months across a year, they require less maintenance than heat pumps.
- Dependability: Gas-fired furnaces have very few mechanical parts in comparison to a heat pump, so there are fewer chances of it breaking down.
- Safety: Gas leaks could lead to fires or explosions.
- Cleanliness: Gas combustion by-products can reduce air quality within a home.
What Is a Dual Fuel System?
Is there a compromise between gas furnaces and heat pumps? Reviewing the pros and cons of each heating system, it seems like no matter what, you’ll have to compromise to some degree. What if there was a third option? Dual fuel systems combine the best aspects of heat pumps and gas furnaces. In a perfect world, dual fuel systems are an efficient solution to the quest for the perfect heating system for your home.
Heat pumps transfer heat while furnaces generate heat from natural gas. Electricity tends to be cheaper than natural gas, though this depends on where you live. In colder climates, furnaces are far more efficient than heat pumps, but heat pumps are better in mild climates.
When it comes time to make a decision about your home’s heating needs, it’s most important to consider the layout, needs, and practicality of your current home. In general, installation costs will always be higher if there is more work required to make your home suitable for your chosen heating system.
Consider Air Quality and Environmental Impact
Natural gas and many forms of electricity are not renewable resources, but that doesn’t mean they’re not essential to our way of life. If environmental impact is a determining factor for you, you may want to talk to your utility provider about renewable energy plans available to you.
Running any form of heating system will have an effect on your home’s air quality. If you or members of your household struggle with asthma or allergies, a whole-home air quality filter can do wonders for your symptoms and discomfort.
The Bottom Line
You don’t have to make this decision alone. If you’re struggling to weigh the pros and cons of the various heating systems, it’s always a good idea to consult an expert. We’ve seen it all, and we pride ourselves on our robust knowledge of the ins and outs of your home’s heating needs. We’re always happy to answer any questions and set you on the right path to keeping your home comfortable.
At Care Temp, LLC, we repair all types of heat pumps and gas furnaces. If you require heating repair services in Toms River, NJ, contact us to speak to a member of our team today and receive a FREE estimate!