It’s that season of the year when a functional, and efficient boiler can be the difference between a warm home and a freezer. Here at Care Temp, we offer boiler repairs and inspections throughout the Brick and Toms River area, with the intention of maintaining warmth and comfort for all our customers.
Until our HVAC technicians visit your home and inspect your boiler, we’ve compiled a list of five tell-tale signs that your heater may, in fact, need to be repaired or replaced:
- Your Boiler System Is At Least 15 Years Old. Within our industry, your average boiler is slated to last no more than 15 years of steady service. While annual maintenance and replacement parts can stave off replacing the entire unit, inevitably homeowners face the undesirable prospect of purchasing a newer model. When weighing their options, we tell our customers to go with a boiler repair, unless said repair exceeds 50% of the cost of a replacement.
- Your Boiler Is Burning Yellow Instead of Blue. Ordinarily, a boiler unit within a home will generate yellow flames. If upon inspecting your unit, you observe what appears to be more of a blue flame, you may be operating a defective unit—spreading deadly CO gas into your home.
- Your Boiler System Is Heating Up Slowly. Depending on the base temperature in your home, a well-maintained boiler should take no more than 2 hours to raise the thermostat by 2 degrees. A heater repair or inspection, available to homeowners near the Brick and Toms River areas, will confirm why your boiler system is slowing down, and what can be done to resolve this.
- Your Boiler Is Making Unusual Noises. After your first few days with a functional boiler you’re already acquainted with the range of noises and sounds it’s likely to make. Should you hear something unusual, like a hissing, popping, or banging, this indicates your boiler is in dire need of a repair or replacement part.
- Your Utility Bills Suddenly Spike in Price. Unless your utility company has notified you in advance, assume that any increase in your utilities can be traced to your home heater. By reviewing your energy bills over past months and previous winters, you can easily tell if your boiler unit has degraded in terms of efficiency.